They are indeed Sphinx moths (Family Sphingidae).

The 3 species that occur in the Eastern US are:
        Hemaris thysbe - Hummingbird Clearwing  Brown scaled areas of wing; Brown scaling uneven on inside edges
                Larval food includes hawthorne, honeysuckle, various Prunus sp., snowberry.

        Hemaris diffinis - Snowberry Clearwing  Black scaled areas of wing; body usually more yellow than red/brown
                Larval food includes dogbane, honeysuckle, snowberry.

        Hemaris gracilis - Slender Clearwing    Brown scaled areas of wing; Brown scaling smoother on inside edges
                Rarest of the three.  Larval food is primarily Early low blueberry.

References indicate they are around all summer, though I expect at our latitudes, more so in late summer.

Mike Blust, Professor of Biology
101 Ames Hall
Green Mountain College
Poultney, VT   05764