There are large cormorant groups off Thompson's Point. A friend reports that they seem to hunt as a group. Some on the outside are flappers and the ones inside are the divers. They seem to be driving the prey (smelt?) and predating in an organized hunting group.
wag

----- Original Message -----
  From: Adam Duerr
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 2:57 PM
  Subject: Cormorants

  Hello all:

  I am a graduate student at UVM studying Double-crested Cormorants on
  Lake  Champlain.  In the past couple of weeks, several of our
  radio-tagged cormorants have moved away from Four Brothers Islands.  It
  is typical for these birds to leave the breeding colony and move to
  another "activity center" - for lack of a better name.  Several hundred
  birds often congregate at these activity centers after breeding or
  fledging.  The birds mostly roost and perch there, and often leave en
  masse to forage.  I know where several are located from the Young Island
  colony; however, I am trying to locate other activity centers that might
  include cormorants from the Four Brothers Colony.  I know 2-300 birds
  congregate at Orchard Point (near the Crown Point Bridge).  Is anyone
  aware of other activity centers?  As evidenced by the Orchard Point
  location, they can be quite a distance from their breeding colony.
  (Also, I could use suggestions for a more catchy name than activity
  centers!)  Any help would be appreciated.

  Please respond directly to me - many others don't want to hear about
  cormorants.

  Adam

  --

  Adam Duerr