Hi everyone
Donna Beale suggested I post this in addition to what she posted.  As you all know, Detroit was a member of the selected major cities that were without power last week.  We did have a disaster plan of sorts and my staff did what was expected.  However, one unexpected thing occurred that you should all probably be aware of.

The loss of power also created a WATER shortage.  Not only was water in scarce supply, but the health officials were concerned that it might be contaminated so when we did get enough power to pump it, we were under a boil water order...until 4:00pm yesterday (Monday).  The hospital had palates of bottled water sitting around everywhere.  Patients, of course, had priority.  So maybe we should all add a supply of bottled water to our disaster list.  And maybe a PB&J sandwich!
Of course, there was no food either---the cafeteria was closed.  But our wonderful DME and Chief of IM stood on the patio IN THE RAIN! and grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for the worker bees.  The president and COO walked up and down the line and thanked everyone for coming to work, etc and they had set the auditorium up with tables so people could eat their burgers and chips.  They had even found enough ice that they had liter bottles of pop cold that they were pouring paper cups.    I have been told that though it got warm, the patients were "patient" and they all helped each other.
So in spite of all the inconvenience, it was a relatively "fun day".

Carole Gilbert
Carole M. Gilbert
Helen L. DeRoy Medical Library
Providence Hospital
16001 West Nine Mile Road
Southfield, Mi 48075
248/849-3294
248/849-3201 (fax)
www.providence-hospital.org/library

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message and any accompanying data are confidential, and intended only for the named recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.