On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Denis Bogan wrote:
> True glaciers have crevasses...

Technically, I am not sure if this is true, though in practice, it is (as
far as I know).  The crevasses are generally formed by undulations
beneath the ice, causing the ice at the top, which lacks plasticity and
has to travel further than the ice below (in the case of a steepening in
pitch).  If a the underlaying floor beneath a glacier was even in pitch,
crevasses might not form.

What I don't know (Jerm, Jim C., do you know ?) is if the lateral
variation in flow velocity can cause crevasses.

> component, rec.skiing.alpine (rsa) degenerated into madness.  I mean this
> literally.  I haven't looked at rsa for years, but it all wound up in
> court and I don't even know how it came out.

It is still madness.  And Denis really is being literal.  Check it out if
you ever need a good laugh.

--Matt K.