I hope this isn't an intrusion.... but I thought the following article might be of interest to many of you.

Bill Romond

Educational Technology Coordinator
Vermont Department of Education
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501
(802) 828-0064 (V)
(802) 828-3140 (F)
http://www.state.vt.us/educ
DEALING WITH STUDENTS' ANYTIME, ANYONE, ANYTIME ACCESS
According to this report, many of the nation's schools have begun to weigh the educational benefits and consequences of mobile technologies.
Nearly a third of teenagers now carry cell phones, an estimated 7 percent of school districts provide some students with handheld computers or PDAs. Students who bring their own PDAs to school and mostly use them as organizers and notepads, but newer models have wireless Internet access, making it difficult for teachers to detect students exchanging personal notes or test answers. As a result, school boards have had to update their computer policies. California and Illinois have lifted campus bans of cell phones and pagers, which date back to the 1980s when the devices were considered the tools of drug dealers. Most other states let school districts set their own cell phone policies. See: <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/aptech_story.asp?category=1700&slug=Classroom%20Gadgets>