On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:13:27 -0600, Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The major impetus for this development is to modernize Alta so that it can
>compete effectively. As the article states:
>"Its skier visits dropped from a high of 514,000 in the 1994-95 season to a
>low of 320,600 in 2001-02. While the number rebounded to 351,000 skier
>visits last winter, Alta's average annual growth rate over the past decade
>declined 3.4 percent. During that period, Utah resorts cumulatively
>experienced 1.3 percent growth while resorts nationwide grew 0.8 percent."
>
>I expect to see a number of  whining and hand-wringing letters to the
editor.

Well, 2001-02 makes sense - tourism all over the world was crushed that
winter. 2002-03 a little less of the same, but didn't Alta have a terrible
first half of the season snow wise? A number of regular guests at
Goldminers booked tickets a day in advance when they knew it was about to
snow - in other words, Alta's guests come for the snow, not a new gondola.

Seems to me that the allure and respect given to Alta has never been
higher. The number of Alta stickers seen on cars on a typical interstate
drive is incredible. Maybe I just never noticed them before, but a part of
me thinks that to expert skiers Alta is more popular than ever.

Xtreme boys such as the Collins brothers and Saga Cattabria have put Alta
back on the new skewl map. All those 5000 ft gap jumps in the backcountry
too. Is this mountain suffering an unecessary identity crisis? Seems so to
me.