Greetings, Vermont Birders:

Permit me to offer a plug for eBird. I didn't want to let Roz Renfrew's
announcement of a few days ago pass without another endorsement. I'm
hopeful more Vermont birders will become eBirders.

For those of us who've tracked our bird sightings over the years, the
demise of Records of Vermont Birds (RVB) was a sad event. Yet from RVB's
ashes now rises a far more powerful tool for bird conservation. The Vermont
portal to eBird (http://www.ebird.org/VINS/index.html) connects us all into
an exciting national database of bird observations. So please plug in.

Like many web-based, citizen-science projects, eBird certainly has its
limitations (particularly for those of us who dial-up at slow connection
speeds). When you first visit the site, it will probably take some time to
become acquainted with its many features. It might even be a bit
frustrating. But many of us need more opportunities to slow down in life.
So brew yourself a cup of tea (or shade-grown coffee) and dwell long at the
eBird site. (Rainy days in November are great for this.) Once you get the
hang of it, you'll find that entering data is a breeze.

No longer will our bird sightings be scattered in field notebooks, on bits
of paper, or locked in our solitary computer databases and spreadsheets.
Your observations will join millions of others from across the country.
There will be strength in those numbers, the power of knowledge for us and
for the birds we enjoy.

The eBird site explains all this far better than I can. So, please, go
birding and then go eBirding.

See you in the field (and on-line),
Bryan Pfeiffer

Vermont Bird Tours