A fine day in the Champlain Valley today. I must admit to spending more
time chasing butterflies than birds. But avian highlights included:

-5 Common Moorhens (1 adult and 4 juvs) at the mouth of Whitney Creek in
Addison
-1 Ross's Goose-Snow Goose hybrid among the 5,000 (plus or minus 1,000)
Snow Geese at Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area

Lots of waterfowl today, including: Horned Grebe (in "breeding" plumage),
Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Black Duck, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal,
Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, White-winged Scoter, Black Scoter.

The bird of the day, however, was Canada Goose. There was a huge flight
today, probably the biggest I've seen in Vermont. Thousands were arriving
and scattered at Dead Creek. The Snow Goose flock was far south of the
viewing area and most of the time tough to see. Very few Snows were
arriving between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. today. The flock seemed to include good
numbers of Lesser Snow Geese.

A Peregrine Falcon stopped in at Oven Bay, and Northern Harriers were
abundant in the Dead Creek region.

Lots of Monarchs still moving south. And I spent some quality time with a
stunning Bronze Copper at McCuen Slang.

-Bryan Pfeiffer

Vermont Bird Tours
113 Bartlett Road