I started seeing redwinged blackbirds (this year's young males, I think) at
my feeders about two weeks ago. Usually, I have a few stay all winter.

Last year, there was one who was easily recognized by one shortened, twisted
and crippled leg that he held close to his belly. He came daily to the feeders
through April.   I was hoping to see him   again this fall and know he'd made
it through the months safely - but not yet. (I wondered if he'd be less
mate-worthy, or if females would be so fixated on his splendid epaulets that they'd
overlook his leg.)

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center