-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Miguel Naughton
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 11:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Top 20 NY ski areas

With a little time on my hands, and still feeling good about those
Cubbies, I decided to rank NY ski areas. This list is prioritized
for people that want challenging runs and trees. I'm curious to hear
what others think of this ranking.

I couldn't pick a #1 because Hunter, Whiteface and Gore are all so
different from each other.

1. Whiteface. Pros: 3,000 vert, Olympic town with many diversions,
long runs Cons: Expensive, little tree skiing, bad exposure, not
much natural snow

1. Hunter. Pros: gigantic snowmaking system, lots of bumps,
challenging Hunter West, good vertical Cons: crowds, hyper NY vibe,
no tree skiing, little natural snow, no town nearby

1. Gore. Pros: scenic, sort of feels like northern VT, a few glades
including unique Twister glade. Cons: jerky ski patrol, too many
blue cruisers, no town nearby

4. Windham. Pros: 1600 vert, lots of snowmaking Cons: no tree
skiing, not many bumps either

5. Holiday Valley. Pros: much diversity with bumps, glades and
cruisers, mellow clientele, 200" snowfall, good value, interesting
town. Cons: jerky ski patrol, there's only so much you can do with
750 vert.

6. Greek Peak. Pros: variety of runs with cruisers, bumps and a
couple of glades. Cons: Decrepit base facilities, ugly powerlines,
nothing very challenging.

7. Plattekill. Pros: inexpensive, amazingly uncrowded, no patrol
hassles, many steep runs, ski wherever you w! ant Cons: little
snowmaking, disgusting food, much pebbles and crumbly rocks, mud/clay
in parking lot hard to remove from car, slopes face southeast

8. Belleayre. Pros: reasonably priced, not too crowded. Cons: not
very challenging, runs are all very similar, very limited tree
skiing, 1400 vert skis like 600 vert

9. McCauley. Pros: cheap, interesting mix with bumps and trees (on
and off map), claim to receive 300" snowfall. Cons: 600 vert, swarms
of snowmobiles in the area

10. Labrador. Pros: I heard it's a decent 700 vert hill.

11. Toggenburg. see comments for Labrador

12. West. Pros: 1000 vert Cons: looks pretty boring from Northway

13. Snow Ridge. Pros: 230" snowfall, according to Nelsap.org it has
some interesting runs. Cons: 400 vert

14. Titus. Pros: cheap, decent natural snowfall, long season Cons:
boring, very poor use of 1200 vert

15. Song. Pros: looks OK from I81

16. Kissing Bridge. Pros: ! lots of runs, decent natural snowfall
Cons: 500 vert

17. Bristol. Pros: nice base facilities Cons: how could they throw
away 1200 ft of vert? jerky ski patrol, no trees, only a few icy
bumps, yuck

18. Willard. Pros: Guido used to patrol here, no?

19. Swain. Pros: OK if you live nearby

20. Oak. Pros: cheap, got state aid to buy chairlift and some
snowmaking

I realize I have omitted Hickory (not open very often) and semi-private
areas like Holimont and Hunts Hollow.

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.