There are no ordinary people on this list, just 3 sigma outliers*  I love
it.

*  Geekspeak for pretty far out there.

    Subject:      Re: KidLit (was: Corporate taxes)

>>   Skip suggested:
   >>Dear lad, you should go back and read the Trilogy.  Not only is it an
    >amazing piece of work from both a scholarly and  literary
perspective,... <<

    Maybe so, but I actually did try to read it once - at least the first
book
    - one summer when I was healing from a bad foot sprain (which
eliminated
    climbing, biking, and hiking for a while). I became immensely bored
with it
    after 50 or so pages and never bothered going back to it.

    >But I think one needs to understand the Trilogy in order to
    >understand the movie.  One can then argue the relative merits of the
    >liberties taken with the story.

    Probably, but on a simpler level, the movie just became incredibly
bogged
    down in expository narrative occasionally punctuated by fairly poor
    CGI-laden F/X. And the acting was atrocious.

    > >Steven Spielberg still owes me for ET. Plus interest. And
penalties.

    >Well then, ignore the above. I forgot that TRUE computer wonks have
no
    >sense of romance.

    Oh sure we do! It's just that Spielberg films, with very few
exceptions,
    invariably drown in a cloying treacle of their insipid sweetness. And
his
    "view of wonderment through the eyes of a child" bit got pretty old
the
    first 20 or 30 times we saw it.

    A.I. could have been a pretty good film if it had ended on the
exceptional
    dark note at the end of the second act. But it probably would have
failed
    test audience focus group screenings. E.T., if done right, would have
    involved lots more blood and the death of at least one of the major
    characters. Think how much more of a moral dilemma it would have been
for
    Elliot if ET had slaughtered the Drew Barrymore character at some
point.

    -marc
    Everything in excess. Moderation is for monks. <