From: Denis Bogan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] 20 Best NY Ski Areas

    Subject:      Re: 20 Best NY Ski Areas

>>  On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Denis Bogan wrote:
    > and easily better than Killington.  Everybody raves about the west
side
    > but, again IMO, K-27 is considerably more challenging, particularly
if you
    > drop in through one of the first two gates.   Crossover and
Eisenhower are <<

>   Is there an abandoned liftline or something to skiers left of Hunter
West?
    Looks like it goes higher up than the rest of the ski area. Is that a
    failed expansion or something? Also, it looks like there's an old
slide
    path to skiers right of K-27 that would spit you out down between
Hunter
    and Hunter One (runs down Shanty Hollow). Anyone ever ski these?

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4671223&e=563062&s=50&size=l <

There are 2 lifts on Hunter West.  The one on skier's left is often not
open.  To skier's left of that lift is Annapurna, a very nice steep run,
narrower than the other Hunter West stuff and I believe natural snow only.
 It is often not open.  Further skier's left is some nice woods.

The chute to skier's right of K-27 is clogged with rocks and downed
timber, or it was when I was last there which is about 5 yrs. ago.  Hunter
does have some woods but what I have found is too obvious.  Hunter is a
see and be seen place and culture, very NYC.  Maybe locals in the know are
aware of deep woods where you can really escape the madding crowd,  such
as exists at Mansfield and other N VT places, but I am not aware of stuff
like that at Hunter.