Several others have weighed in on this subject, and I agree with several
points, especially marc's that it's something else that's fill your inbox.
Even during very heavy usage 6 day would only be a couple meg, a
fraction of 10.

On to new points.  digest will help, especially when there are a lot of
short messages.  There is a mail header that about the same size
reguardless of the message length.  You'll only get one header in
digest.  Secondly, mail is usually stored as indevidual files.
Depending on the servers file allocation block somewhere between 1 k and
4 k.  Every message will increase in size to a multiple of that.

On the down side.  Digest is almost un-readable when people respond
including all previous text.  Well I've griped about that before ....

Rich