At 08:44 AM 10/21/03 -0400, Leigh Daboll wrote:

>Following is the headline.  Can anyone explain how you can install towers
>*on*  a glacier? Skip?

This is outside of my experience, but I do know a little.  For simpler
lifts, such as the T-bar on the Blackcomb Glacier at Whistler, lift crews
bore into the ice and literally set the tower into the hole.  It's a
non-permanent installation, and needs to be redone periodically as the
glacier moves.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, ropeways are pretty
forgiving from an alignment standpoint.

Getting into bigger lifts gets more challenging.  I don't know the
specifics of this lift, but I do know that In theory, one can set a lift
tower on the ground with no foundation if there's sufficient mass to the
tower base.  Sheer mass and friction can theoretically hold it in place. It
appears that the bases of about a dozen of the towers on the lift in
question are designed essentially this way - and designed to be moved, as
the following links suggest.

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/medienmitteilung/2003/05/02.html
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/medienmitteilung/2003/07/04.html

Doppelmayr is doing this installation, and their website has some fairly
detailed information regarding lifts if you prowl around enough.  The site
isn't particularly easy to search, though, and I couldn't find anything to
indicate precisely how they do a glacier installation such as the one at
Zermatt.  There appears to be a picture of a glacier-set lift on their
site; maybe this link will work for you:

http://www.doppelmayr.com/engl/dm_ic/index_e.html

If it doesn't, go to www.doppelmayr.com and go into the INFO CENTER and
click on INNOVATIONS.  The picture on that minimalist page shows a lift
with towers that essentially look like inverted Y s - I'm guessing this is
a glacier installation, because there'd be no reason to create towers like
that for any other reason.