On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 08:44  AM, Leigh Daboll wrote:

 >Following is the headline.  Can anyone explain how you can install
towers *on*  a glacier? Skip?

Very carefully, with special floating supports. I have been following
this story with keen interest. From
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/medienmitteilung/2003/05/02.html we read:

A chair-lift on a glacier must be constructed so that its supports can
be moved because of the movement of the glacier. For this reason the
supports positioned in ice have been developed so that they can be
moved 75 cm both on the ground and under the pylons. However, the
entire pylon and support units must be moved once or twice a year using
an excavator.

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://weasel.uvm.edu/      |