From: Marcy Brown [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 8:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CHAT: Consumer health in smaller libraries

Good morning,

Recent postings, discussion, and the "AdvocacyToolbox" cards distributed with the recent JMLA, have led me to wonder about who among us is doing this thing we call "Consumer Health." In particular, I'm wondering about the types of resources essential to providing good consumer service. I would really, really like to extend our services to the community at large, but simply cannot afford any print materials. We do of course have access to free online materials, and subscribe to Gale Health and Wellness which has full text of many consumer-type journals, but books, videos, and pamphlets are out of the question.

For those of y'all in small to mid-sized libraries providing consumer service, which materials are in the greatest demand? Is it possible to offer these services without circulating books, videos, multimedia materials, etc.? What are ways you've convinced your administrators to take on this non-revenue-generating activity which could, potentially, make it more difficult for the library to provide service to clinicians?

Thanks in advance for the discussion.           Marcy

Marcy Brown MLS, AHIP
Forbes Regional Hospital
Monroeville PA

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the West Penn Allegheny Health System Help Desk at (412) 330-4357.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com