    Denis> something to digitize for posterity about 45 years worth of
    Denis> negatives and slides now residing in dusty corners of my
    Denis> house.

I just saw that amazon.com is selling the Nikon Coolscan IV film
scanner for $434 after rebates. That's a great price on that
scanner. It's what I use at home for scanning my old slides and
negatives. The Nikon software is clunky, but the scanner itself is
superb. It also does a nice job color-balancing all my old faded
bluish Ektachrome slides.

Dave G.