David Guertin wrote:
> Here's 28 more shots of Joe standing
> in front of a tree." etc. etc. :-)

That's just people being stupid.  I frequently take 5-10 shots that are
roughly the same, but only end up using one.  (heck, if I'm really
trying to get a shot, I'll take 30-50.) Keep all the shots, but only
publish the good one(s).

> I borrow my wife's pocket-sized digital camera all the time when I
> just want snapshots. Unfortunately, it has a huge lag time between
> pressing the shutter release and opening the shutter, which makes it
> nearly useless for action shots (like skiing).

Pre-focus.  Shutter lag can be a problem in action shots, but as you get
used to your camera you start to develop digital techniques. A large
percentage of your 'shutter lag' is actually auto-focus.  Most cameras
allow you to pre-focus on an area (or manually focus!) before you take
the shot.  Thus you  pre-focus your camera on the spot where you want to
take the shot, pan up to where the skier is, track them down to that
spot, and take the shot.  Works pretty well, actually:
http://tinyurl.com/sisx

> I like digital cameras. I'm thinking about the same as you. When the
> Canon 10D or Nikon D100 get below $1000, then I'll get more serious
> about making the switch.

You can get great results with the sub-$1000 cameras right now.  My
Nikon Coolpix 995 (which has been long eclipsed by a couple of models)
is 3.3MP.  It's allowed me to print this photo at larger than 8x10 -
maybe 16x20?  http://tinyurl.com/sit2

I'm not saying it's time to throw away your film camera, but pick up a
digital sooner rather than later.  You'll reap the benefits of current
technology, and start to learn digital techniques which will make that
D100, or equivalent, a lot easier.

Just my $.02
-Ben