I strongly agree with John.  If we are tired at voting for the lesser of 2
evils, that means we need to work hard developing a base strong enough to
field a candidate whom we trust and who can win.  Until that time, by
ignoring elections with this tired excuse we allow things to get even worse
for the masses, and with Bush even for ourselves.  Myself, I don't believe
that as the level of misery goes up that revolution gets closer, it appears
if you look around, as misery goes up, people just suffer more and in many
cases become even more vulnerable to right wing demagoguery.  We are in a
very serious crisis.  Progressives can rise to the moment and even help
build an independent base if we take up the challenge to elect a Democrat,
while at the same time operating independently, consciously and visibly.
MoveOn is a great example of how to do this.

-- Ivan

are told to go with the Democratic lesser evil in order to block a devil
incarnate....we vote for a lesser evil and then we get what we voted for...

> There is an old union concept that maybe should be repopulatized in the
United States of North Anerica -- don't vote for your boss, don't scab at
the ballot box.  It is better to vote for what you want and not get it,
that vote for what you really don't want, and get it.

> An alien, non US citizen of a country much to the south of where most US
voters live.

> FS
>
> "John W. Lamperti" wrote:
>
> > Keith Rosenthal's anti-Dean message seems to me overblown and
misguided. OF COURSE Howard Dean is not left; of course he is a centrist,
pragmatic politician. That is far better than what we have right now in the
White House! We all realize that the day of jubilation will not have
arrived if Dean--or even Kucinich, whom I support--is elected president.
It's important to know that, but it's surely no surprise, especially to
Vermonters, despite deceptive media portrayals of Dean as a leftist.

> > But what should we do about it? To me it seems obvious that no matter
who the Democratic nominee is, reasonable patriotic people must work to
remove George W Bush and his gang of thieves and warmongers from the White
House. We are losing what we still have of democracy (small "d") and civil
liberties, and it's vital to get those guys out of office. THEN we can
criticise the conservative new president and work for change. There will be
plenty to do, to be sure, but at least we'll still be free to try to do it!