Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003
To: New Hampshire Birds <[log in to unmask]>
From: Pam Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Sandhill Crane in NH

Greetings all:

>Can anyone tell me how often Sandhill Cranes are found in NH?

Here's my take on the issue. For quite a while, Sandhill Cranes were
a less-than-annual visitor to NH, usually in spring and fall
migration. Over the last 3-5 years, however, they seem to have been
increasing, and even started to hang around in the summer (this is
the 5th year for the bird in Monroe). Recent records have included:
Monroe, Lancaster (possibly the same bird?), Lebanon, Boscawen,
Concord, Bradford, and Newington, so the pattern seems to be more
western than anything else. This makes a certain amount of sense, if
one considers that the species has been increasing in the Midwest and
Ontario. Finally, there is no better indication of this changing
distribution pattern then the fact that cranes have NESTED for three
years in a row (2000-2002, don't know about 2003 yet) in Kennebec
County, Maine (location undisclosed). This is several hundred miles
farther east than any known breeding records, and is almost certainly
the first nesting in New England EVER. For those wishing to know
more details about Sandhill Crane distribution patterns in NH, I'm
contemplating an article for NH Bird Records, but you'll have to wait
a few months both for me to get started on it and then for the issue
to actually come out.

Enjoy,
Pam Hunt
Northfield, NH