While deer hunting in the NEK Sunday morning I almost hit for the Kingdom
cycle. Saw boreal chickadees, black-backed woodpecker, and gray jays....but no
spruce grouse....just plenty of ruffed grouse. Even saw some deer!! And had a
nice face-to-face meeting with a fisher although I think I was the more
appreciative participant. Also pine grosbeaks, evening grosbeaks, hairy woodpeckers,
bc chicks, brown creepers, ravens, wild turkeys, plenty of mergansers where
water was open, kinglet, rb nuthatch, crow, pileated woodpecker, tree sparrow,
robin, and blue jay. Anyone else ever notice that brown creepers are often found
moving through the woods with groups of chickadees. I always look for them
whenever a wave of chickadees passes through and more often than not there will
be a creeper tagging along. Perhaps a safety advantage for the creeper? I
doubt that either species would receive a feeding advantage by working together.
Charlie La Rosa
246 Rolston Road
Waitsfield