Interesting to read about David Hoag's juvenile Gannet sighting from Saturday.  I was at Cape Cod this weekend and there was a huge southerly  movement of Northern Gannets.  Without my binoculars I counted gannets passing a fixed point on the coast at about 50 per minute (3000 per hour).  Looking through my binocs it was apparent that this was a very broad band of birds and it was not hard to conceive that the numbers actually passing were 10 fold what I could easily count without the aid of binocs.

John Sutton
Corinth