Interesting "reason" it is said "free" -- to "protect corporate
networks."  A "$49.95 value."  Also has "automatic
updates."  After one year, one may subscribe for
more updates -- maybe not free after all  :)  Also,
I see no language about how they might use registration
information.  Personally -- in such a case -- I feel
obligated to:

        1.  not provide my true contact information
        2.  use my "junk" hotmail address to get
                the download verification

Yes.  If you willy-nilly sign up for such things, one's
level of spam can increase "exponentially."  (My e-mail
address is on 2000 web pages and 1000 usenet/group pages --
yet -- I get very little spam.  Legend has it, it is more
this kind of "sign up" that really produces the spam.)

Direct link for the 18 meg. download:

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm?

Summary below, source: Edupage

FREE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE FROM COMPUTER ASSOCIATES
Computer Associates (CA) announced this week it will make its eTrust EZ
Armor software--which includes virus protection and a personal
firewall--available at no charge to consumers in an effort to protect
corporate networks from the large number of unprotected home users.
CA's Ian Hameroff said that his company remains focused on corporate
customers but that threats increasingly come from home users. CA's
announcement sent the stock prices of competing antivirus companies
falling. Symantec's stock dropped seven percent, while that of Network
Associates fell five percent. At least one analyst said the reaction
was excessive, however. Donovan Gow of American Technology Research
noted that CA only holds six percent of the antivirus market worldwide
and just one percent of the consumer market. Hameroff said CA's
motivation in offering the software for free "was not to erode the
market share of our competitors."
CNET, 18 November 2003
http://news.com.com/2100-7355-5108904.html

--

           W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
   Research Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies, MIT