Dear List members,

I wish to draw your attention to an upcoming Penrose conference on

Mass Redistribution in Continental Magmatic-Hydrothermal Systems

September 6--12, 2004

Yellowstone National Park and Butte (Fairmont Hot Springs), Montana

This conference will provide a forum for discussion of how large-scale,
magmatically driven hydrothermal systems operate in the continental
crust and how they produce enormous geochemical redistribution of
elements that sometimes result in economic mineral deposits. After magma
transport, hot aqueous fluids ranging from nearly pure water to complex
gas mixtures and brines produce the largest mass transfer within the
crust. The conveners invite participants whose research span diverse
expertise including igneous processes, geophysics, contact metamorphism,
fluid flow, water-rock reactions, isotopic and chemical tracers, and
mineral deposits. We will plan to examine what we know about these mass
transfer processes, what we wish to know in the future, and how we
should set about obtaining and analyzing the requisite new data.

Further details may be found at:

http://www.geo.oregonstate.edu/users/dillesj/Penrose.html

Have a good holiday season.

cheers,
greg arehart

--
Dr. Greg B. Arehart
Associate Professor of Geology and Geochemistry