Dear Isotopists:
        We recently have the Laser sample-preparing device attached to the MAT253
to investigate the silicon isotopic composition through SiF3+, we encounter
one problem now. The zero enrichment test is terribly bad (the number of δ
30Si is up to 6 per-mil, the δ29Si is about 0.1 per-mil, , and all the two
numbers get arise when I keep on measuring with the same sample). But the
zero enrichment test of CO2 is very good and no air get into the machine
through Ar40 inspection. I have inferred that the Ion Source of MAT253 must
be contaminated by something. The machine have been baked and purged by
pure N2 flushing intermittently for almost three days. The situation is
always the same.
        So I wonder how to resolve the problem without taking the Ion Source out.
Thanks in advance
Zengjie

Zengjie Zhang
Assistant Professor
The Open Research laboratory on Isotope Geology
Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences
26 Baiwanzhuang Road, Beijing
100037, China
86-10-68999635(lab) 86-10-68999094(O)