I know we have had this question before so I apologize. Currently when
Middlebury receives a UCC and the customer wants it recorded in the land
records we charge the UCC filing fee of $10. We give the document a UCC #
and file and index appropriately. We also charge the per page fee of $7 to
record the document in the land records. This issue went back and forth in
muninet a while ago. My understanding at the time was that we must file a
UCC as a UCC if we receive it in our office and the land recording was
extra.

I have one lawyers office that gives me a hard time about the fees everytime
they record. I have Talked with Mark Reeves at Public Records and he was not
sure and advised me to contact the Sec St office. I spoke with Linda
Safford/Betty Poulin at that office and they advised that we could charge
for both recording and filing separately. But I was still confused about
some of the wording in the VT Statutes on line pertaining to UCC Fees. I
emailed Deb Markowitz and she had Gregory Sanford email a response. Below is
a copy of that response. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this issue?

Copy of Response
Ann: Deborah asked me to respond, though I fear I do not have the knowledge
offer an informed response.  My only suggestions are to poll the Addison
County
clerks to see what they do so there is, if possible, a consistent local
response and
then build a policy around the advice you have received from Mark Reaves,
Betty
Poulin and the neighboring clerks.  That would show due diligence in
developing a
policy based on apparently contradictory statutory guidance.  You may want
to see if
your colleagues have had similar problems and whether the VMCTA would want
pursue clarification through legislation this coming session.  Sorry this
was not more
helpful. Gregory

Ann F. Webster
Middlebury Town Clerk/Treasurer