I do this with taxpayers in Essex Junction, but I have their numbers and I initiate the transaction. Some banks offer on-line banking to their customers where the customers can initiate the transfer on-line and the bank will cut a check and send it to you.  This way, the taxpayer doesn't need your account numbers, just your mailing address.

Susan Hill, Village of Essex Junction