From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Joan Devine
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 4:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Paying property taxes on-line

Does anyone allow their taxpayers to pay taxes on line?  I do not mean charge them to a credit card but by electronic transfer from their account to the City's.

I have a taxpayer who feels he should be allowed to have the City's account number so when he has extra money he can apply it towards his taxes.

I am totally green to this method and am curious if other towns are.  If so, do you think it is effective?  Does it cost the City extra money?  Is the posting of accounts a nightmare?  Does it save money?

I guess I am looking for some of the pros and cons if it is done out there.

Thanks for your help

Joan
Vergennes