St. Albans Town has an ACH debit program set up with our bank to automatically deduct the taxes from the taxpayer's account.  It has worked very well for us.  We now have 150 that we do.
Kathy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joan Devine
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 4:10 PM
  Subject: Paying property taxes on-line

  Does anyone allow their taxpayers to pay taxes on line?  I do not mean charge them to a credit card but by electronic transfer from their account to the City's.

  I have a taxpayer who feels he should be allowed to have the City's account number so when he has extra money he can apply it towards his taxes.

  I am totally green to this method and am curious if other towns are.  If so, do you think it is effective?  Does it cost the City extra money?  Is the posting of accounts a nightmare?  Does it save money?

  I guess I am looking for some of the pros and cons if it is done out there.

  Thanks for your help

  Joan
  Vergennes