Hello,

I seem to have run into a brick wall which, over the years, I have gotten to
know quite intimately. My bruised and bloody body and ego are ample
evidence. Has anyone got a jackhammer?

Our email server runs an older version of sendmail. (We are moving to
Groupwise sometime this winter.) Our SU is leaving the GovNet nest and will
be using our server for their email. I'm trying to get our server to accept
their email. When I telnet to the email server from our LAN, I get the
following response:

220 robin.bfafairfax.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3
helo dreaves.together.net
250 robin.bfafairfax.com Hello [172.16.66.254], pleased to meet you
mail from: [log in to unmask]
250 dreaves@together.net... Sender ok
rcpt to: [log in to unmask]
250 postmaster@fwsu.k12.vt.us... Recipient ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Test message.
.
250 IAA07084 Message accepted for delivery

From the way it replies to me, I would expect that it is ready to accept
mail for FWSU. But when David Kreindler from GovNet tries, this is what he gets:

220 SMTP service ready
helo david.ne.dii.state.vt.us
250 Requested mail action okay, completed
mail from:[log in to unmask]
250 Requested mail action okay, completed
rcpt to:[log in to unmask]
553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed or chunk too large

I added a virtusertable and a genericstable and ran makemap. I added a
sendmail.cw (and local-host-names) and a relay-domains text files. I changed
sendmail.mc to include FEATUREs for virtusertable, genericstable,
sendmail.cw. Then I regenerated sendmail.cf.

When we here at bfafairfax.com send mail to fwsu.k12.vt.us it stops on our
email server, and FWSU can access it from our server. When fwsu.k12.vt.us
sends mail to each other, it stops on our server, and they can access from
our server. Again, to me, this indicates that our email server is ready to
accept mail for fwsu.

Does anyone have any ideas why David is getting the error message when he
does RCPT TO:? Could it be our firewall is blocking part of David's telnet
session?

Thanks for your help.

Doug Reaves
Bellows Free Academy