I was one of the birders Mona Bearor mentioned in her post.  She was
not being ironic.  Bullets literally whizzed past our ears.  At one
point, several of us scrunched down against a truck to avoid being
shot.  I would not recommend anyone visit the site at this point till
someone can figure out what might have been going on. There were few
birds to be seen with all the heavy artillery noise, at any rate.  I am
wondering if Roy Pilcher who first found the bird knows anything about
this area and the safety hazard?  Many of us enjoy birding the W.
Rutland Marsh area.

A visit to the Vins Nature Store and the E. Screech Owls there, as well
as the captivating sunset on the way home soothed our ruffled feathers.

Paula Gills
Ted Richards
Brookfield/Northfield