Sorry for the late post, but on 12/26, while cleaning the most recent
batch of snow off my car, I heard a low-pitched, guttural GROK call,
repeated three times.  I looked up expecting to see a Raven, but instead
saw a largish "hawk," very light colored underneath.  It was flying away
from me, at a distance of several hundred feet when I first saw it.  Of
course, I didn't have binoculars.  The Gyrfalcon would seem to be the
only hawk-like bird with such a deep call.  Sibley describes it as a
"deep, hoarse kwah, kwah, kwah."  I have been unable to find a recording
of this call either on tapes/CDs that I own or on the internet.  Lacking
other visual identification, is this call a good bet for a Gyrfalcon?

Ken Copenhaver
Fairfax VT