I am very familiar with Sandhill Cranes. That species is common although not
numerous in central Florida. In fact we have a resident pair that stalks
around our park like living lawn ornaments. There are large pastures
pastures for beef cattle( and cranes) throughout this region.
Ernie and I were traveling on route 470 about 3/4 mile east of the FL
turnpike when we spotted the 7 very white red crowned cranes. We stopped
along with a fellow from Texas-all of us were surprised to see so many here.
There are vast patures here SE of Leesburg.

>From: Allan Strong <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Whooping Cranes in Leesburg, FL?
>Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:50:54 -0500
>
>There is a resident population that has been reintroduced to Florida.  Over
>the last few years, there have been repeated introductions of captive bred
>birds.  As of a year ago, there had been successful egg laying and
>hatching, but no young had survived to maturity, primarily due to bobcat
>predation.
>
>Allan
>
>At 08:34 AM 12/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>         I've spent a fair amount of time in Leesburg, and have seen lots
>>of
>>Sand Hill Cranes there, but nary a Whooper.  Are you sure?
>>         I don't know who keeps the Florida rare bird list, but you could
>>contact someone from Lake Woodruff NWR over near De Land - I'm sure they
>>could help you out.
>>         Larry

>Allan M. Strong
>University of Vermont
>The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
>347 Aiken Center
>Burlington, VT 05405
>802-656-2910
>Please note new email address

Cell phone ‘switch’ rules are taking effect — find out more here.
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx