-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ann Webster
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 8:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: charge atts for researchers

I was wondering how many clerk's offices allow title searchers to run a tab
for their vault time and copies. When I came to Middlebury it was normal
procedure and I don't find much of a problem with it except that we don't
send bills out on a reg schedule and a few people get way behind on their
pmts. I am just about to implement a system of billing on a reg schedule and
charge interest on accts after 30 days. I also plan to suspend charging
privleges on accts after 60 days. I don't want to completely shock our
clientele and was wondering what other clerks do.

Currently if a searcher does not have an acct with us I will not give them a
bill. They must pay at the time of service. Lately I continually hear how I
am the only clerk in the State that is this mean. Am I the meanest clerk in
the State?!!

Ann F. Webster
Middlebury Town Clerk/Treasurer
94 Main Street