I put the vital statistics in the town report and probably won't change this practice as alot of people in Sharon like to see that information in the book.  I do however, send a letter to the parents of all the births in town.  In order for their Childs birth information to be included in the town report, they have to return the letter with the appropriate section checked off giving me permission to put their childs name in the book.  They are also required to sign this letter and have it back to me by a certain date.
This year we only have one birth and they choose to have it included in the town report.
Joanne
Town of Sharon