This is a message from another list serve that I thought folks might find interesting.
Kent

Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:37:04 -0900 (AKST)
   From: Kenelm Philip <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Great piece of optics!

There was a comment a while ago about a 7x40 close-focusing
monocular made by Brunton. I acquired one of these recently,
and would like to recommend it to anyone who could use a
well-made piece of optics that will focus from infinity down to
18 inches. I gather a future model will focus to 14 inches. It
appears to be almost ideal for looking at insects, and costs
($150) a fraction of the price of a good pair of close-focusing
binoculars, none of which (to my knowledge) focus this
close.

The device may be obtained from Brunton, but it was invented
by a scientist in Anchorage, Alaska. It can also be ordered from:
<http://www.closetoinfinity.com/> in Anchorage. The name of
this useful tool is the Brunton Macroscope.

                Ken Philip