With all due respect, I can't imagine how this thing would be any good for
butterflies, especially since close-focusing binos gather more light and
are probably much more stable and easier to use. For those who don't like
to catch insects, however, I CAN see how this monocular might allow you to
view certain body parts that could help with an insect's identity. But I'd
much rather grab the beast and look at it through a hand lens.

-B

At 1/6/2004, you wrote:
>This is a message from another list serve that I thought folks might find
>interesting.
>Kent
>
>Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:37:04 -0900 (AKST)
>    From: Kenelm Philip <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Great piece of optics!
>

>There was a comment a while ago about a 7x40 close-focusing
>monocular made by Brunton. I acquired one of these recently,
>and would like to recommend it to anyone who could use a
>well-made piece of optics that will focus from infinity down to
>18 inches. I gather a future model will focus to 14 inches. It
>appears to be almost ideal for looking at insects, and costs
>($150) a fraction of the price of a good pair of close-focusing
>binoculars, none of which (to my knowledge) focus this
>close.
>
>The device may be obtained from Brunton, but it was invented
>by a scientist in Anchorage, Alaska. It can also be ordered from:
><http://www.closetoinfinity.com/> in Anchorage. The name of
>this useful tool is the Brunton Macroscope.
>
>                 Ken Philip

Vermont Bird Tours
113 Bartlett Road
Plainfield, VT 05667