My requirements for a backcountry binding to replace the VP-II are,

a. It must be bombproof.
b. It must be in the box in the basement.
in that order.

I have 3-pins and a Hammerhead in the basement box, among others.  I used
pins for years and don't like them on mountain skis; they are fine for
flat ground skis.  I can't use pins with my T3s since grinding the
duckbills off so they will fit step in crampons for Mt. Wash. in the
spring.   Back in the stone age I used leather boots and pins on skinny
skis at Tucks but I was younger and crazier and there was nothing better
available.