>It seems that the best way to tour a 3-pin hardwire would be to remove the
>cable assembly completely.  DO NOT install the orange hardwires as Voile
has
>described in the installation instructions.  They have you attach the
cables
>with the hook down.  When the binding is installed like this,  there is no
>way to remove the cables without removing the toe piece.  I called Voile
>about this and they agree that installing the cables as they have
described
>would be silly.

But with the newest ones that's the only way. The hooks will fall out
otherwise; they don's snap in like last years' did. To remove or replace a
wire all you need to do is unwind the heelthrow all the way. No need to
pull the toe-box.

>I have to agree with Denis on the backcountry validity of the VPII.  When
it
>goes,  it's gone.  There is a growing fleet of 3-pin hardwires around
>MadRiver.  I have my eyes on the toe to see how much those hinges can take
>before self destruction.  Even with a topless toe there is still plenty of
>binding left to work with in the backcountry.

Keep in mind that there is a performance advantage of the regular HW over
a 3-pin HW. Having pins means that you cant force the boot further into
the binding to get a more secure fit. The cables help stiffen things up in
this regard but a good connection in the toebox is still more powerful.
This effect becomes more pronounced as things wear.

Jerm