>From: Jeremy Malczyk <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >It seems that the best way to tour a 3-pin hardwire would be to remove
>the
> >cable assembly completely.  DO NOT install the orange hardwires as Voile
>has
> >described in the installation instructions.  They have you attach the
>cables
> >with the hook down.  When the binding is installed like this,  there is
>no
> >way to remove the cables without removing the toe piece.  I called Voile
> >about this and they agree that installing the cables as they have
>described
> >would be silly.
>
>But with the newest ones that's the only way. The hooks will fall out
>otherwise; they don's snap in like last years' did. To remove or replace a
>wire all you need to do is unwind the heelthrow all the way. No need to
>pull the toe-box.

Hmmmm . . . mine haven't fallen out yet.  Actually the new hooks snap into
the new plate (hooks up) with much more authority than on the model that it
replaced.  When Voile replaced my original hardwire,  they didn't include
the new springs,  so unwinding is not even an option for me.  Even if I
could it would suck to have to unwind the springs from the cables, then
remove the cables from the toe box,  then dealing with 3 parts instead of 1,
all with cold hands. Personally I don't have any problem going against the
installation instructions to be able to simply unhook the whole megillah.

> >I have to agree with Denis on the backcountry validity of the VPII.  When
>it
> >goes,  it's gone.  There is a growing fleet of 3-pin hardwires around
> >MadRiver.  I have my eyes on the toe to see how much those hinges can
>take
> >before self destruction.  Even with a topless toe there is still plenty
>of
> >binding left to work with in the backcountry.
>
>Keep in mind that there is a performance advantage of the regular HW over
>a 3-pin HW. Having pins means that you cant force the boot further into
>the binding to get a more secure fit. The cables help stiffen things up in
>this regard but a good connection in the toebox is still more powerful.
>This effect becomes more pronounced as things wear.
>
>Jerm

Yeah,  I can see how the pins would stop the boot from really cramming into
the toe plate.  I would think that for extended BC trips the 3-pin hardwire
would be a great choice even while trading some performance for tourability
and redundancy.  I am certainly no mountaineer so what do I know.