Jeremy Malczyk [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>There's also the new Pieps, which has 3 antennae. That gives it much
>better range in digital mode (I *think* its supposed to work almost up
>100 meters, which would be HUGE advantage over Tracker) and the ability
>mark beacons that are still on so you can search multi-burials better.

100 meter range in and of itself is not very useful- field strength
changes of a few meters are swamped by the change in magnitude change of
a few degrees of angle at that distance- can spend a lot of time and
energy figuring out which is the correct direction to move.

But I'd very much like to see if the 3 antennae approach fixes some of
that- if it does, longer range may indeed prove useful where it hasn't
in the past (particularly when flux-line searching with the
single-antenna analog Pieps- easy at sub 20m, but damned near impossible
at 75m despite good signal.)

FWIW:  Apparently there are good combination-purchase deals off the BCA
website(?) for a shovel + probe + snow-saw + Tracker for sub-$400, which
takes the sting out of buyin' 'em  separately. My brother just upgraded
in anticipation of mid-winter touring in Colorado this year- I can ping
him for details backchannel if you like. I think he said ~$360USD
delivered...

dana

_____________ ________ __
__ /________ ________ ___