From: Molly Montgomery [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 9:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Meaning/Origin of "Going to see a man about a horse"

Talk about a Friday question!

I have searched Google, the Phrase Finder website, and questioned coworkers,
but I can't find a definitive meaning or origin of this colorful phrase.  It
seems to mean:
1.      A sudden or unceremonious departure (American Dictionary of Slang).
2.      What someone says when they are unwilling to state the true nature
of their business.
3.      A euphemism for visiting the restroom.

If you have any additional insight on this, please e-mail me off list.  I'll
do a summary by the end of the day.

Thank you,

Molly Montgomery
Assistant Librarian