-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fwd: Contest Question
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:36:52 -0500
From: Robert R. Snapp <[log in to unmask]>

> I have a question on "legal moves".
>
> The text says a piece can move by the "number of squares that equals
> the
> total number of pieces that sit along that particular line on the
> board".

The description of an example endgame described how the moves are
computed for
that one case. If you want to move a piece horizontally, you count the
total number
of pieces in that horizontal row (white and black) including the piece
you are about
to move. The piece can then be displaced that many squares (occupied or
vacant), to the left or right, provided that (i) the move does not end
on a square that is occupied
by piece of the player's color, (ii) the move does not pass completely
over
(i.e., jump) over an opposing piece. (Note that it can land on an
opposing piece, but
this is not regarded as a "jump".) A similar calculation can be
performed for vertical
moves, and the two diagonal moves. In general a different number of
squares
may be obtained for each of the four lines.

> Question:
> Is that horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines?  Is that both you and
> your
> opponents pieces and can it ONLY move THAT number of spaces (i.e. not
> less
> than that many spaces)?   I understand that a jump could potentially
> increase the number of spaces.
>
> Joe
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Robert R. Snapp                  Office: 1-802-656-0735
Associate Professor              Dept.:  1-802-656-3330
Department of Computer Science   Fax:    1-802-656-0696
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405 USA

http://www.cs.uvm.edu/~snapp