I'm wondering if anyone on the list is aware of any type of software
that measures and assesses student computer skills. We've been spending
quite a bit of time this year compiling a list of the particular
computer skills that kids should master at particular grade levels.
There is talk that I should sit down with individual students and go
over a checklist of skills with each student (talk about taking the fun
out of computing!)  If there was a piece of software that would lead
students through particular computer tasks and then offer an assessment
of that student's abilities, there might be a great savings in time and
energy.
I'm also wondering about how people feel about the issue of student
assessment with regard to computer skills. I get the feeling that we're
nitpicking when we wonder whether a first grade student is capable of
completing a left-mouse click, or a third grader is able to drag-select
a body of text and transform it in some fashion. Has anyone else mulled
over these things?
Thanks for any input.
- Charlie

--