Thanks for your perspective, Doug. A lot of the points you make I agree
with. I think the 'gee whiz' factor of technology often blinds us to its
shortcomings. Computers are marvelous tools, but they can never replace
teachers, books, or the spoken word. I'm fascinated by how technology
was used in the creation of Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. Prior
to the introduction of technology into that project, there were writers,
artists, and actors plying their trades, the most important of whom was
J.R. R. Tolkien himself. It was said that Tolkien composed the work
numerous times from scratch, all without the use of a word processor.
I checked out that critical piece on powerpoint, and found a very funny
take on the Gettysburg Address would look if delivered with the aid of
powerpoint.
http://www.norvig.com/Gettysburg/index.htm

- Charlie Cavanaugh

--