The problem with PDf is that it is difficult to extract the original document with its formatting intact.  You can do minor edits in Acrobat, but the version of Acrobat that I have does a truly lousy job of converting back to RTF.

RTF is as close to a standard for word processing as exists right now. I can't imagine that it will be an unreadable format anytime during the next 100 years or so, if ever.  I'd be a lot more concerned about the media than the RTF format.

Steve Barner, South Burlington Schools

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/10/04 12:14PM >>>

I havenít tackled every policy, but stuff related to tech I have saved as .pdf.  The original still exists as a .doc or other.

HTML would be a good format, but would you keep the original in HTML?

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Barner
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Maintaining electronic documents

It's really hard to imagine that saving in RTF format (or even HTML, for the truly paranoid) would ever result in a document becoming unreadable at anytime during its lifespan.

Steve Barner, South Burlington Schools

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/10/04 11:40AM >>>
A recent issue with school board policies has got us thinking in larger terms about the maintenance and updating of electronic documents.  Anything with a relatively long lifespan, for example, job descriptions, board policies, tend to become outdated in their software format/version.  In collecting a bunch of policies for one school, we found some that had not been touched since 1990, and were written in an application no longer in general use.

I wonder if any of the SUs out there have tackled this issue of how to maintain and update their long-lived documents.  I have plans on how to tackle our situation but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has already treated this issue in their own school/SU.

Tommy J. Walz
Technology Coordinator
Barre Supervisory Union
120 Ayers St.
Barre VT 05641

Tel 802-476-5011

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If this e-mail contains
student information and you are not entitled to access such
information under FERPA, federal regulations require that you
destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward
it to anyone.