This has been asked over and over and Monarch Watch has addressed it many times. I would email Monarch Watch and ask them. Or, they might have section on web page about it. Basically, There are thousands and thousands often dead on the ground from weather or the birds and small mammals that have learned to eat them, so they all go through those and pick them up.  There have been no cases of mass poisoning.

Kent