-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Jeremy Malczyk
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 1:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Taos 2/6-7

Bluuuuuuebird!
Yeah, it's a lame and overused term, but it's right on for the past two
days at Taos. They've had a pretty lean year up until this last storm that
dropped something like 20 inches. That was enough to justify opening stuff
past Juarez and Stauffenberg, although the entrances to the latter were
chocolate chip flavored. Most time was spent on the long bump and tree
runs off Chair 2, with a smattering of ridge hikes thrown in for good
measure. I hooked up with a nice group of Santa Fe telemarkers by proving
my worth with a leap from te lions head into one of the uglier chutes
skiers left of the mainline of Stauffenberg (Taos is loaded with
freeheelers btw). They basically skied me ragged on way too many bump runs
(this place NEEDS some snowboarders, and some snow...).
General impression is that this place rocks, both in terrain and core shot
potential. Someone needs to park an inland sea somewhere north of Los
Alamos to feed them some moisture.  But when there's enough snow (and
there was, just barely) there are tons of nice lines easily accessed from
the top of Chair 2. The general lack of deep snow also means a sort of
rotational closure system to keep some runs fresh in the lean times. That
can be annoying when you only have two days and you're staring up at a
well covered and completely untracked run ... fortunately the NM poaching
laws don't seem as severe as they are in CO (where you get slapped with a
$300 fine for ducking any rope, ouch). Off piste skiing, as in regular old
tree skiing between runs on the lower mtn is supposedly not kosher, but I
can't see why and nobody hassled me. There also arent any BC gates, which
is lame. The lift accessed BC looks like it has some potential although
their snowpack probably isn't ready yet. Minor details though, this place
should be on everone's tick list. Yeah, they don't allow snowboarders and
probably never will, but get over it, it's a great mountain with great
skiers and greater weather. The coffee is pretty good too.

Wolf Creek tomorrow for 21 bucks and I think I'll call it a roadtrip, at
least till next weekend.

Jerm