I've had a similar problem with my feet for awhile now... I'm also fine on
groomers, but anything hardpack or heavy causes extreme pain... got custom
footbeds this year, as I have extremely high arches and attributed the pain
to my arch collapsing with impact.  I still get a decent amount of pain but
only in deep heavy snow.  My problem most likely stems from my boot shell,
which is about a half-size to a full-size too long. I'm hoping to buy new
boots soon, but finding something in a 23.5 that isn't pink and has a flex
index higher than .0000001 is harder than one may think.