Hi Paul,
What you describe is a huge problem. In General, teachers don't get
network security. We have disabled teacher accounts for a period of time
for security reasons. It certainly makes people sit up and pay
attention. Unfortunately, it doesn't last. We implemented log in time
restrictions because we had teachers leaving themselves logged in
overnight sometimes with school administrative software open. People who
have had a real problem with this can only be logged in during contract
hours. As far as I am concerned, anyone who hands out their network
credentials to students should have their account disabled for a good
period of time. Of course you need to have the administration backing
you and the sanction should be communicated by the principal. Most
schools do not have a security policy in place and need to. We are
working on one for the supervisory union but it takes time to develop.
Dave

Sorry for the double post.

I have a teacher that had local admin rights to computers in their
classroom.  They gave a student his logon information so that the
student
could install Radmin (http://www.famatech.com/).  The teacher said that
it
was for legitimate purposes.  They said that it enhanced the
curriculum.
They also let the student install Windows XP on the computers.

The same student was found installing software on other computers from
jump drive.  The student also tried to use Radmin to access several
other
machines on the network.

The teacher wants to be able to display all classroom computer screens
through one projector.  I know there is other software out there.  Any
recommendations?

How do other network administrators deal with this?  Has anyone taken
network access from a teacher for abuse?

Should the IT department buy software that helps monitor students?
Does
this software require local administrative rights?

Thanks,
Paul Wood
IT Coordinator, RNESU

David Tisdell. Computer Coordinator
Mt. Mansfield Union High School
211 Browns Trace
Jericho, VT 05465
802-899-4690 (Voice)
802-899-2904 (Fax)
[log in to unmask] (e-mail)

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains student
information and you are not entitled to access such information under
FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that you
destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it to
anyone.